Monday, May 7, 2007

Update

It’s been almost a week since I received the news that I still haven’t yet delivered the knockout punch to my melanoma. So far, I haven’t received any further news from my doctor about the next step to take, although I’m fairly certain that I will hear something tomorrow. A lot of people have been wondering how I have been handling things in the days since hearing the bad news.

Mainly, I have been working out. Every day I have done two of the following: swam, ran, or gone for a bike ride. (The exception being today- Mondays are rest days) I have actually reached the point where when I run I no longer suffer from shin splints after a mile or so. The Harriman Triathlon is less than two weeks from today, and I have every intention of being on the start line. I also plan on doing the full 100 mile route on June 2nd’s Ride to Montauk.

Mentally, I am doing okay. Probably as good or better than could be expected for someone in my situation. I haven’t had a Brian Wilson meltdown, becoming a bedridden hermit or anything like that. A few minor panic attacks here and there, but half of those are not even related to the cancer and probably would have happened anyway.

I’ve been working on my documentary, spending hours in front of the computer editing. It’s looking pretty good, although I do tend to swear at the monitor. A lot. The more high tech you go, the more things can potentially (and will actually) go wrong.

I wish I had more information to tell you all, but as of today I don’t know a hell of a lot more than I knew last week. I’ll keep you updated, though, as soon as more information becomes available to me.

1 comment:

DSL said...

Stay positive Nils.

How's good ole WNY these days? Ahhh Route 5...I lived on Sundance Trail right off Rt. 5 growing up. Lakeview, NY baby.