Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cold air masses

The other day my mother remarked that we don't seem to have much of a spring season anymore. It almost seems like we go from winter to summer. These last few days have really felt that way. Even though it has been sunny, it sure as hell has not been warm. A lot of cold winds have been blowing around, and I cn't figure out where all of this cold air is coming from.

Back when I was in colege at SUNY Fredonia, campus was about two miles from Lake Erie. I would often go for long bike rides, particularly during finals wek when I probably should have been studying. But that's besides the point. I would sometimes ride south into Chatauqua County, and when I would get into the hills it would be a warm, spring day. But if I decided to ride home on Route 5, which basically followed the Lake Erie shoreline, there would be a very cold breeze coming off of the lake. Obviously a huge mass of water that was maybe 40 degrees F would cool the air traveling across its surface.

But here in the landlocked Catskills, there is no lake of ice water cooling the air. Just bitter winds that seem to blow right through your skin chilling you to the bones. And I really wish that they would go away. As much as I love to ski, I have hung up my sticks for the time being, and want to see green trees and wear shorts comfortably. It's May, I shouldn't be freezing or having to turn up the heat.

No comments: