Friday, May 18, 2007

The forecast calls for pain

Alright- it looks like I'm in for a few days fun. A week or so that will test my limits beyond anything I have ever done before. A schedule jam packed with discomfort and suffering.

Tomorrow I will punish myself by racing the Harriman Mini triathlon. 6/10 mile swim in a ball-numblingly cold lake, followed by 29 miles on the bike (with 3000' of climbing), followed by a ten K run. Why the hell did I agree to this king of misery? The same reason most men put themselves through misery- a beautiful woman convinced tham to do it. Although I will be laughing at this beautiful woman as I pass her while she is hacking her way up the hills! (Although seriously, Court, you will fucking slay this race!)

For most people the tri would constitue enough sadomasochistic behavior for one week. But I, as we all know, am not like most people. So on monday I wil be checking into NY Presbyterian for roughly a week, where they will be pumping my body full of chemicals, pretty much causing me to puke my guts out and forgo sleep for a few days. And to think, I remember when a week of puking and hallucinations was caled "spring break" ;)

So in 24hours I will be donning my wetsuit, nervously waiting to dive in to some cold water. At least that will inspire me to swim faster- getting the hell out of that lake is going o be a huge motivator! And even though I haven't trained in almost a week due to a strained abdominal, I'm stoked for the bike (or at least beating Ceej for this leg). As for the run, well, the run is going to suck. But I knew that all along. But at least I'll be telling myself the whole race that this won't be as painful as the next week will be. And I guess all next week I'll just be telling myself that at least this isn't as painful as the pain that so many beutiful women have put me through in the past.

4 comments:

TriSonq said...

I was referred to you by SkiRough.

Dude, you're awesome! Kick ass this weekend.

Keep inspiring us. (And make sure Court survives?!? Ha.)

Andra Sue said...

Hey, there. I also came to your blog by way of SkiRough. Just wanted to say good luck on your race this weekend! Kick some luscious triathlon booty. :)

Mike said...

3K of climbing in 29 miles...ouch! You and Court know how to pick races....*not* ;-)

Seriously- have a great race and kick ass out there Nils!

Dances with Corgis said...

Requesting updates.