Monday, April 16, 2007

The final(?) shots

This afternoon I recieved what will hopefully be my last cancer treatment. The final round of this experimental vaccine I am involved in a trial for was administered to me today at New York Presbyterian. And hopefully this is the knockout punch that we all have been hoping for.

For over a year now I have been living with the cloud of cancer over my head. It has been an experience, to say the least. But to be honest, the experience has not been entirely negative. I mean, other than the fact that I have fucking cancer, a lot of great things have happenned to me during the last year or so.

One thing about the last year is all of the amazing people who I have gotten to know. From the Upper East Side to West Virginia, from Lake Tahoe to Glacier, WA. The people I have had the priveledge to meet and become friends with the last couple of months has been amazing. It is a great feeling to know that there are a lot of people out tere who are not only pulling for you, but are also inspired by you. Especially when someone like Ingrid Backstrom tells you this.

Tomorrow the Kicking Cancer's Ass tour kicks off it's final leg, to Utah. I will return to Little Cottonwood Canyon, one of my favorite places on Earth. These will be my final ski days of the season. Upon my return I will start crash-training for a triathlon. Not a bad way to continue kicking cancer's ass.

But for now all I am thinking about is this final round of treatment. I really hope this one will work. My oncologist is very optimistic about this new drug. Considering this is someone who routinely has to tell people that they only have weeks left to live, this is a good sign. And all I can do is keep a positive attitude about this.

1 comment:

Dances with Corgis said...

Please don't ever affiliate me with "Upper East side" again. I'm way cooler than that :)

Hope you have fun in SLC!