Saturday, July 7, 2007

Tour de Chemo- Stage 1 complete


Man, talk about a long assed day. Over fourteen hours from start to finish. It's amazing how exhausting sitting around can be.

I woke up around 8 AM, and showered. I tried to eat a bit of breakfast, but I wasn't hungry. Nerves were certainly on overdrive. I even felt a bit queasy. Great, if I was queasy in the morning, how the fuck would I feel when my body was pumped full of toxic chemicals? I managed to eat about a half bagel and some juice. Buy 9, we were in the car, en route to NYC. I tried to nap a bit in the car, and ate some Twizzlers on the Thruway. Red food, you know.

We crossed the GWB around 11:40, and had to make a critical decision- where to eat lunch. I still wasn't feeling all to hungry, and was mainly worried that anything I ate I would just end up puking back up later. I immediately decided that a plate of greasy meat and potatoes at the Dallas BBQ was out of the question. I decided on the Fibe Bistro, where I had a salad.

At 1:00, I checked into the hospital for my treatment. After waiting for over an hour, somebody told me that the were waiting on my bloodwork. The brilliant receptionist failed to mention that the vampires would be sucking blood, so that pretty much meant I wasted an entire hour watching CNN when I could have been receiving my medicine.

Around 3:00 I finally began my treatment. We were informed that it would be about a four hour process. Wonderful. I neglected to bring any reading material, and I didn't have my computer with me so I could watch a DVD. I sent Dad and Kira on a mission, and they returned with the latest from Chuck Klosterman. Kira also bought me a bobblehead turtle from a street vendor, which was to be my good luck mojo.

After an hour, I was feeling tired and took a nap. That was a great way to pass another hour. I kept waiting for the sickness to set in, but it never did. I even ate a little bit of Chex Mix during treatment, as well as some chocolate-raspberry cookies. Actually, I probably overindulged on the cookies, because I wasn't hungry for anything when we got out of the hospital.

We headed back upstate, and I was surprised to see so little traffic on the G-Dub and the Thruway for a Friday night in the summer. After about an hour, I was ready to eat, and we stopped in New Paltz to grab a bite at the diner. The diner had those jukeboxes in every booth, and it felt like we were in the final episode of the Sopranos. Unfortunately, they didn't have "Don't Stop Believin'", so we settled on Billy Joel instead. I ate a cup of soup and half of a corned beef sandwich.

After dinner, we drove through the town time forgot (New Paltz if full of hippies who have probably been there since they got left behind by their buddies at the original Woodstock festival), and headed home. By the time we got back, it was almost 11:30, and I was absolutely exhausted. But I didn't feel sick, which was good. took some anti-nausea meds just to be safe, and went to sleep.

No comments: