Friday, June 15, 2007

Finally- some great news

No point in any long intros, I'm just going to come out and say it. According to my most recent CT scan (June 12), some of the melanoma lesions in my lungs have dissapeared!!!. Let me repeat that: some of the melanoma lesions in my lungs have dissapeared!!!

Here's the deal: I have been feeling like hell for the last two weeks. I have been coughing like I smoked two packs of Marlboros a day since Styx had their last hit single. A lesion near my windpipe was agitiating it, causing me to cough ad nauseum. By ad nauseum I mean it even made me puke a few times. I couldn't take it anymore, so on Monday I called my doctor. He had me go to NYC on tuesday, and decided to give me another CT scan, even though I wasn't due for one for a few more weeks.

The initial reaction was that the lesion near my windpipe had grown in the last six weeks, and that we would somehow have to reduce its size, either surgically or via radiation. Upon hearing this I began to get very depressed. For the last ear and a half, every CT has revealed worse news each time.

So today I went back to NYC to discuss various treatment options with an interventive radiologist. By chance ran into my oncologist in the building, and he told me the news. Upon further examination of the scan, some of the lesions in my lungs had disappeared. This was the first time Iheve ever gotten any good news from a CT scan since they found the first lesion in my right lung in October, 2005. Needless to say I was stoked. Later on, he also explained to me that wile the lesion that has been irritating me had indeed increased in size, he also mentioned that it appeared "necrotic", and that it may in fact be dying. Still, the doctors want to go ahead and try and decrease its size anyway, since it has been causing me so much discomfort. So got back to NYC monday morning to meet with another doctor.

It feels so good to finally hear some good news. Staying positive has been extremely difficult these last few weeks. Ths has been the first time that my cancer has actually effected my life, kept me from doing things. This news is a much needed pick me up!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FKNA!!

-steve