Friday, December 15, 2006

Global cooling? Uh, NO!

Today, driving south on Vermont State Highway 100, I passed a thermometer outside the Aspen East ski shop. It read 51 degrees farenheit. This was December 15, in Kilington, Vermont. A place that only a few years ago opened for skiing around Columbus Day. Now they are barely able to keep enough snow on the ground to remain opening. The worst part is, this isn't exactly a freak weather pattern these days. It has been very warm recently. Last night I couldn't even see my breath. And if anyone thinks Global Warming is a myth, I suggest that they pull their heads out of their asses and take a deep breath. They might discover that there is a bit more carbon dioxide than they expected.

I'll be the first to admit that my opinions wre dramatically changed by Al Gore's movie. After all, isn't it possible that this is just the result of climate changes that naturally occur over time? That could partially explain things, but the truth is that we are hotter than ever, and the temperature increases are happenning faster than they have in previous climate changes. Much faster. These things shouldn't be producing such noticable reults in 20 years.

A freind of mine, someone who I know is very inteligent, claimed that what is actualy hapenning is Global COOLING, the result of glacial melt lowering the salinity of the oceans, causing them to cool. But the glaciaers wouldnt be melting in the first place if the planet wasn't getting warmer. Now I don't have the answers to save the world, but I'm sure that there are a lot of folks a lot smarter than me that do. And we should stop living in denial, and start listening to them.

1 comment:

lazuliangel said...

...all that snow...

The cheapest holidays in Europe right now are the 'Christmas Pistes': three to four day packages to the Dolomites, the lower Alps, all non-Chamonix destinations. I remember arriving here a few years ago and thinking I'd go on one of those (Skiing in the Alps... my pipe dream), only to suffer immediate sticker shock. Now? It's more expensive for me to book a sun holiday this time of year.

Most of of the resorts here are barely functioning. The Swiss Alps. The world's ski bonanza. In danger of financial choke.

*hangs her head*