Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Change the Channel

I think I really need to change my television viewing habits. Mainly, I have to quit watching hospital shows. Which kind of sucks, since two of my favorite shows, until recently, were House and Gray's Anatomy. But It seems every week there is some sort of a story line involving some cancer patient dying a painful death. Not the sort of thing I really want to be thinking about, and the type of negativity I should be avoiding.

So the question now is what to watch instead. Fortunately, up in Vermont, my cable package includes RSN (Resort Sports Network), which seems to show some sort of ski movie every night. Granted, this might have the unintended consequence of inspiring me to do something marginally insane, which could just as easily put me in the hospital anyway. But I would like to think that after two consecutive years resulting in season-ending injuries, I have learned a few things and will now be skiing more safely. But I haven't learned anything in truth, and the only thing keeping me from participating in random acts of stupidity is the fact that my left leg is still not at 100%, and I just don't feel safe going full throttle.

I have a rather extensive DVD collection as well, so whenever regular TV fails, I have the option of watching whatever movie I please. With a library that ranges from Altman to Zemeckis, I can usually find something to fit my mood. Of course I don't need to have an extensive DVD collection to keep me happy. The truth is, I'm rather simple to please. So the next time I turn on my television and hear some doctor telling a patient about an untreatable tumor, I know what to do. Yell "Shut the fuck up, Donny!", change the channel, and put in The Big Lebowski (letterboxed, of course).

No comments: